Tuesday, June 3, 2008

An attempt at Empathy by Pastor Jim McDowell/Believers Church



March 04, 2008
An attempt at empathy
I wrote this poem in 2005 about the transition to empathy and wanted to post it here.(Jim's Blog http://www.jimmcdowell.typepad.com/ )




PITY
Brazen face spotted close – but far.
I see you, I don’t know you.
I don’t live where you live.
I don’t want to visit you.

Your life is not mine – it’s different.
My Joneses won’t let me give you the time of day.
I would say that it’s your lot in life.
I would lie.

My heart it hurts – for you.
I left your city, your neighborhood, your street, months ago.
I still see you, dirty, hungry, sad.
Like your parents must have told you, I can’t do anything.

I am coming - for you.
The tears in my eyes have been forming since I saw you.
In that place, that terrible place.
You deserve, something, anything, to eat, to be loved.

I am here – for you.
You must be here somewhere,
I search these streets, these alleys.
I can’t find you so I ask.

Where is the little boy with dirty face that looked hungry, lost, and alone, - where are you?
You are gone,
They insist,
I am alone; I am leaving your town, your city, your
street, as you did some weeks ago.

I believe, that you are in a better place now,
That God above has a special place for you – now.
I missed a chance, to show you love.

I am sorry, please forgive me

©2005 Jim McDowell

No comments: