Sunday, April 20, 2008

The declining Clergy in the catholic Church?

A deacon at one of the church's I attend justified the only recourse available for the issue of the declining priesthood was to make more deacons, stating , that according to scripture and custom, that only men were chosen to go out and take up the slack caused by the neglect .This is the actual reading for the day and he was referring to it. Make more deacons!the process takes the minimum of 4 years,as I understood.He failed to notice that the sentence right before the names of the men who were chosen ,through prayer and the guidance of the Holy spirit. "The proposal was acceptable to the whole community." Now , I know that this is not acceptable to all of the community,as it is impractical and that we also have an available pool of well qualified people that is ready to serve in the capacity of priest. It is impractical due to the fact that the deacon is limited in what sacraments he may perform,important ones. He cannot absolve sin,celebrate mass or annoint the sick(http://www.nbc4.com/pope-benedict/15822324/detail.html).These things stated by the deacon during his sermon.
ActsChapter 6 http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/acts/acts6.htm
1
1 At that time, as the number of disciples continued to grow, the Hellenists complained against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution.
2
2 So the Twelve called together the community of the disciples and said, "It is not right for us to neglect the word of God to serve at table. 3
3
Brothers, select from among you seven reputable men, filled with the Spirit and wisdom, whom we shall appoint to this task,
4
whereas we shall devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word."
5
The proposal was acceptable to the whole community, so they chose Stephen, a man filled with faith and the holy Spirit, also Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicholas of Antioch, a convert to Judaism.
6
They presented these men to the apostles who prayed and laid hands on them. 4
7
The word of God continued to spread, and the number of the disciples in Jerusalem increased greatly; even a large group of priests were becoming obedient to the faith.

Now,as a result of the Judaic norms of the society, it seems ,according to Acts, that women were excluded in the selection.But this is only according to the canonized works.Agendas.

2000 years later this injustice of exclusion is still prevalent in the Roman Catholic Church.
We have a worthy group of sincere people who would love to serve God in the capacity of priest.Married men.Women.Capable of serving NOW!
Of course, the church would have to reverse several hundred years of dictations of men and possibly acknowledge the agendas that have kept people of faith ,at bay.Control,Power and Greed.Lets not forget arrogance. It was not done out of ignorance.That is why it is not included,as much as I would want this to be the case.
Many other sects and factions of Christianity are looking at this issue and some are even doing Gods will by inclusion.
The Roman Catholic Church is being left behind. It is complacent.It is stagnant. The priesthood is declining. I love this Church and the beauties it is afforded through the sacraments and its tremulous and turmoiled history.We are evolving as a Church!
The Prodigal Son? Received inheritance?Squandered wealth?
"And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death(hell) shall not prevail against it"......True. But , how much more shame and hate shall be inflicted on the people of God as a result of the stiff neckedness,hardness of heart of a few
who , refuse to see ,that if they only did the right thing....no one would lose.Including them.

1 PeterChapter 2
1
1 Rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, insincerity, envy, and all slander;
2
like newborn infants, long for pure spiritual milk so that through it you may grow into salvation,
3
for you have tasted that the Lord is good. 2
4
Come to him, a living stone, 3 rejected by human beings but chosen and precious in the sight of God,
5
and, like living stones, let yourselves be built 4 into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
6
For it says in scripture: "Behold, I am laying a stone in Zion, a cornerstone, chosen and precious, and whoever believes in it shall not be put to shame."
7
Therefore, its value is for you who have faith, but for those without faith: "The stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,"
8
and "A stone that will make people stumble, and a rock that will make them fall." They stumble by disobeying the word, as is their destiny.
9
5 But you are "a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people of his own, so that you may announce the praises" of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
10
Once you were "no people" but now you are God's people; you "had not received mercy" but now you have received mercy.
I am not offended at the insults and lies directed at my person. Some of you hope that I will just go away.

Your own guilt and shame inflict and cause you pain. But I understand the nature of the disease...or would you not be at peace with the decisions and actions that would cause me to live in the street like an unwanted stray...hungry,thirsty,tired and alone?My Father would give me the money for my needs,but obviously he didn't and I was sent to you and the charitable organizations that were set up to help people such as I.
Yes,it is an injustice what has been afforded to my person by the lies and dysfunction of those complicit in these actions or inaction's ..or just plain dragging of the feet. Are you not aware that I know of the gossiping lies? You think all these things were done in secret. My Father sees all. I am aware.I am not offended of your condition. I love you.I forgive you. But ,please stop for your sake! Injustices are repaid with injustice.Unexpectedly.To those we love.Even you ,have those you love.What is it about me that offends you so? If you spent some time to know me ,your fear would leave. Your true fear is that you know that you would love me. Loving someone you had dreamed .the dream is real.that scares you. It's OKAY! I Love YOU....no matter what. My pain and tears are for you. You are worthy, for me to shed my precious tears over . That is the beauty you need. It is real.This your medicine.Accordingly due!

No comments: